Project: Final Portfolio
Project/Corrections Spent: I spent 8 hours on this project. I had an original idea I was using for my portfolio and had almost completed the assignment on one the school’s computers. Then Saturday night I had planned to finish and submit the project at the Library, and when I arrived at 9:30pm the library was closed. I had to start all over on the project and had finished the project on Sunday night. This took me about 5 hours to complete. The 3 hours I spent re-doing my Montage, Business Cards, and Letterhead. I really like how these three turned out. It was very stressful and I wish I could of used my original Portfolio layout but I was in a time crunch and stressing about completing it. All in all, the design is simple, but I’m happy with my projects.
Message: I wanted to give the audience a sophisticated and simplistic look.
Audience: Future employers
Top Things I Learned: Not everything goes the way you want it to go sometimes but you have to make due. Sometimes your computer will crash, something won’t be saved, and/or you’ll have to start all over again. It’s important to not dwell on the issue and just get it done.
Future Application of Visual Media: I plan on using the techniques I learned in the class in my degree which is Social Media Marketing.
Title Font Name/Category: Oriya MN & Serif Font
Copy Font Name/Category: Baskerville & Old Style
Thumbnails used: None
My video for this project can be found on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpM8PAhQ3lE
- Description: I wanted to create a fun and relaxed atmosphere for those that may not have visited Steamboat Springs, CO. This restaurant includes the delicacy of Mount Zirkel Wilderness Rocky Mountain Trout, Gold Creek Elk Chop Steak, and Zirkel Greens.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I decided that I wanted to do something with Routt National Forest. I hiked Zirkel Circle last year and loved the nature and fresh colorado air. I wanted to create something similar for those that may be visiting steamboat springs! I then decided I’d make a menu for a restaurant and call it Routt County Z. Zirkel Wilderness is located in Routt County National Forest. I liked the accordion fold so I decided to stick with the basics. I wanted to incorporate the mountains in the menu and give it a free, fresh feeling. I then came up with the menu items. Aligning everything up to where it needed to be, I began printing. After a couple prints, I had it!
- Message: Mount Zirkel Wilderness is located in the Routt National Forest in the northwest corner of Colorado. We wanted to dedicate the cafe to Mount Zirkel which is the highest peak ranging at 12,182 feet.
- Audience: Routt County Z just opened this last May 2015 in the heart of Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Our cafe seats up to 65 people, with our dining room splitting into two sections – with the option of sitting on the patio.
- Top Thing Learned: I had to print my brochure a couple times so get the folding correctly, and see if the wording was readable. I learned about having a lot of patience with printing. I also had a lot of fun with this project and coming up with new ideas.
- Color scheme and color names: Monochromatic & blues
- Title Font Name & Category: Times New Roman & Old Style
- Copy Font Name & Category: Tahoma & San Serif
- Word Count of copy: 446
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites):
Project: Event Ad
- Description: I wanted to do something with Honduras. I wasn’t quite sure what direction I wanted to go so I started out with something that I love to do. I love to rock climb. From there I took a photo online that I thought showed a lot of accomplishment, had it professionally printed, and re-scanned it into the computer. I wanted to base my theme around “Climbing for a cause”. I liked the simplicity look. I used the quote “We rise by lifting others” as a way to show that the money which would be raised for this event would go towards Honduras. I like the black and white theme I went with.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills, FOCUS principles): I used the line tool a lot of alignment as well as the ruler tool. I also used the outline of squares to highlight the most important part of the Ad.
- Message: My message is for those who are looking to donate their time and money into a great cause.
- Audience: Anywhere from 12 to 70 year olds.
- Color scheme and color names: I’d say the photo is complementary. The red/brown rock with the blue sky.
- Top Thing Learned: I didn’t realize that you can accomplish a good design in Microsoft word. I learned a lot about alignment and what tools I needed to use to align my wording up to my photo.
- Title Font Name & Category: Baskerville & Sans-Serif
- Copy Font Name & Category: Lucida Console & Slab Serif
- Scanned images used, sources, original sizes, location of scanner used: LDS Philanthropies (work); Original size 400 ppi