Flaxseed

The idea was to take a package that didn’t have a quality design, and redesign that package. I searched all over the house to find something I could use, and I came across my lovely Flaxseed’s. The package isn’t horrible but I wanted to redesign it any way.

I searched all over the internet like Behance, Pinterest, Google for ideas on package templates. The original package that the Flaxseed comes in is a plastic bag. It’s not very flattering.

I wanted to use a packaging that gave the Flaxseed’s a sophisticated look and so I decided on a 7” by 2.5” package label, and a jar. I want to add a scoop in the jar, so the consumer can easily use the flaxseeds.

When I was redesigning the logo, I used this photo as a reference for the “Flaxseed” label. 

I wanted to keep the label simple but have it still stand out from the other packaging. I didn’t want the text to be lost either. I tried to use different size text for different significancy. The Larger text in the label is more important that the smaller text. 

I kept all of the original text from the original packaging but just changing the outline of the label.

This image I took last year in our corn field, and it’s a stock of corn before the head came out. I liked the “seed” look to the corn and wanted to incorporate this in my label as well. 

It was hard deciding what contrast to use for the image. I put the photo in a sepia but couldn’t decide if I like the image darker sepia or a lighter sepia. I have posted both because I couldn’t decide. 

I really like the outcome of what I came up with for this particular project. I think I highlighted the important text well, and made the title pop out from the rest of the images/text. 

__________________________________________________

This week I was able to refine my label a little bit more. After talking with a few other classmates I decided to change the background. I really do like the image that I took and how I edited it, but It was a little too dark for the packaging. I may still use it but we’ll see what everyone thinks.

Here is an update on what I’ve done so far…

 

 

 

 

 

I used an image that I found online. It had free reusable rights with or without changing the image. But I went ahead and changed the image anyways. I put photo in photoshop and went to the adjustments and put a “blue filter” on the image to cool it down a little bit, then put a 66% white boxed layer over the image to “fade” the photo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After I added that onto my photo I decided to get rid of the border. I felt like the label would look a lot more dominate if the text was taken out of the box and the “flaxseed” text was a little bit bigger (44pt).

I wanted to keep a lot of the information that was on the original package because I felt like it was relevant. I kept the recipe, the message from Bob Moore who is the founder of the Bob Red Mill Flaxseed.

After hearing some suggestions on the color, I decided to change the back label color to something that helps bring the label out. I really like the gold effect and I know it’ll look good on the jar label.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is my before and after of the Flaxseed label:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

Here is my last refinement along with my barcode! I really like how everything turned out.

Advertisements

Homemade Apple Cider

This was a really fun Infographic to make! It’s fall time here in Idaho and the leaves are changing! The air is really brisk and it’s time to sip on some hot chocolate or apple cider!

I wanted to make this Homemade Apple Cider Infographic for those that want to try it! It’s a lot more fun than store bought! The apples used in the apple cider are very important, so pay attention to the details in this infographic.

Enjoy!

 

 

I came up with the colors from looking outside and seeing the leaves changing. I decided to make my own color scheme so that everything went in rhythm.

The apples are super important in this process so you’ll see them a lot throughout the info graphic. I looked at different apples through google clipart and designed my own in Illustrator along with the other graphics!

____________________________________________

Refine Week:

 

This week was really fun as I went through the Infographic, I was able to create more details in the graphics!

I wanted to “spice” things up (no pun intended) and add some apples that had already been sliced, a little more detail to the pot, the cup of apple cider at the end, and changed the font to New Times Roman 14pt.

I really like the color scheme I stuck with! I think this project went really well.

 

Vanderbilt Ave Identity Design

Vanderbilt Ave was founded in January of 2017. My boutique business soon transformed into an Interior Design business as of last month. I had been needing a logo that would define my name as “Vanderbilt Ave” instead of just my name, Natalie. I needed something to show my style and type of design. In order to get the right logo, I had to do a lot of sketching…

I loved the “wheat” idea as well as keeping the logo simple and classy. I didn’t however enjoy the “N” even though that does represent my name well, it didn’t represent my business – “Vanderbilt Ave” well. So I continued to sketch…

I came up with a couple different designs and here they were:

 

After asking around and getting professional advice on my logo, I decided this fit me and my business well.